• Cam Felton

Second Half Catastrophe… Again! – Mansfield 0-3 Cambridge

Updated: Mar 9

Mansfield lose a second successive game at home in Sky Bet League Two, the Stags looking to bounce back against top of the league Cambridge United but a second half collapse see’s Nigel Clough’s men comprehensively beaten by 3 goals to nil.

Clough named a unchanged starting XI to the team that got beat Wednesday night, the only change coming on the bench where Oli Sarkic made a return to action after a short lay off.

The Stags made a quick start to the first half with a half chance in the third minute, Stephen Quinn seeing his delivery land on the roof of the net.

Cambridge had the ball in the net 4 minutes later as Joe Ironside put the ball in the net but play was pulled back after a clear shove on Stags defender Farron Rawson and the Stags had a reprieve.

Mark Bonners men kept the pressure up and had another chance soon after as Hannat flashes his powerful shot wide of Aidan Stone’s far post.

Stephen McLaughlin showed some real quality to get a delivery into the box but his cross evades everyone but fell to Ryan Sweeney at the far post and after some great man marker by the Cambridge defender, see’s his poked effort easily saved by U’s ‘keeper Burton.

The Stags nearly had the lead as Jordan Bowery cut back inside and curls an effort wide of Burton’s post.

35 minutes in and Harry Charsley is the next man to try his luck, Ollie Clarke wins his battle for the ball and slides Charsley in and his low effort rolls just past the post.

Aidan Stone made a great save in the 44th minute, Wes Hoolahan is picked out at the far post and Stone is equal to his effort.

The deadlock was nearly broken in the 56th minute, Jamie Reid bursts forward after winning the ball from the U’s defence but his through ball to Bowery is slightly over-hit and runs through to Burton.

The missed chance would come back to bite Mansfield as league top goal scorer Paul Mullin put the U’s ahead, some good build-up play from Cambridge saw Dunk burst down the right hand side and plays the ball across to Mullin who sticks a toe on it and watches it nestle in the back of Stone’s net.

Cambridge had their second minutes later as O’Neil clipped the ball over to Mullin and he pokes the ball past Stone from a tight angle.

The game was dead and buried in the final minute as Harvey Knibbs slams his shot straight through Aidan Stone to round off a good attacking performance from Mark Bonners men.

Nigel Clough’s team travel to Harrogate Town for the first time on Tuesday night and will be looking for three crucial points.

Mansfield Town: Stone, Sweeney, Rawson, Charsley (Sinclair, 72 mins), Clarke, Bowery (Sarkic, 89 mins), Maris, Perch, Quinn (Law, 60 mins), Reid, McLaughlin

Bookings: Maris

Cambridge United: Burton, Knoyle, Taylor, Okedina, Dunk, Hannant (Knibbs, 79 mins), O’Neil (Drysdale, 70 mins), May, Hoolahan, Mullin, Ironside


5 views0 comments